Title page of the published protocols of the meetings of the “People’s Council” in Tel Aviv, the provisional government of the state of Israel. The provisional councils existed between May 1948 and February 1949, and served as a transitional link between the mandatory government and the “Knesset Israel”.
The typeface used is Stam, designed in the mid 1920s as a revival font by Franzisca Baruch in Berlin. The letterforms were inspired by a Haggadah from 1526 printed with wooden type by the Gersonides family of printers in Prague. Baruch’s typeface was published by the Berthold foundry around 1925.
Government institutions in the young state of Israel used Stam for formal purposes because of its dignified character. The font did not include numerals though.