These pictures show the abandoned Luwal shoe factory, Luckenwalde, Brandenburg, in what used to be the GDR. The script typeface used for the sign on the roof is Ariston, designed by Martin Wilke and first cast by the Berthold foundry in nearby Berlin in 1932. The version used here is from a later era when letterforms could be stretched and cut from vinyl.
According to André Winternitz (rottenplaces.de), the factory was originally built by the Niendorf brothers for manufacturing pianos. In 1921, it became “Schuhfabrik Dulberg AG”.This name changed in 1924 to “Schuhfabrik Luwal AG”.The products were marketed as “Geier – der Markenschuh” [Perladesa].In GDR times, the company operated under the name “VEB Luckenwalder Schuhfabrik (Luwal)”. See more images on rottenplaces.de.