One of the many “Cyrk” (“Circus”) posters designed by Polish artist Marian Stachurski (1931–1980). This one from 1964 depicts two juggling clowns. The ornamented shaded caps are lettering, based on Macdonald. Originally cut in wood in the first half of the 19th century, they were rediscovered by William Webb in a printing office in north-west England and named Macdonald after its owner. The alphabet saw wider dissemination after Armin Haab included it in the first volume of the Lettera source books in 1954. It’s quite likely that Stachurski patterned his lettering after the showing in this book.