The fourth logo used by Zayre, a chain of department stores founded in June 1956 in Hyannis, Massachusetts, was designed by Alan Berni & Associates, and rolled out at the beginning of February 1971. Zayre stretched from Massachusetts, west to Minnesota, and south to Florida at its peak.
The name of the store is presented in Roc Mitchell’s then-newly released typeface Dimensia, issued by Alphabet Innovations either in late 1970 or in early 1971. It’s used in a mix of upper- and lowercase characters, slightly obliqued.
The Z mark was presented in many color combinations, mostly orange-and-black, blue-and-black, and blue-and-purple. By early 1976 only the wordmark was in use upon the introduction of an asterisk motif, which in July 1976 was the basis of a new logo set in Cooper Black.