Chrám umění: Rudolfinum is a book dedicated to the history of the Rudolfinum, a building located on the bank of the river Vltava in Prague. Opened in 1885, the neo-renaissance building has always been associated with music and art. It has been the home of the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra since 1946, and also contains the Galerie Rudolfinum, an art gallery that focuses mainly on contemporary art. The Rudolfinum’s Dvořák Hall is one of the oldest concert halls in Europe – the Philharmonic Orchestra played its first ever concert here in January 1896, conducted by Antonín Dvořák himself.
Over 500 pages and 270 illustrations, the book covers the history of the Rudolfinum through photographs, drawings, plans and posters. The book was edited by Jakub Bachtík, Lukáš Duchek and Jakub Jareš. The design is by 20YY Designers who used Berthe (Abyme, 2018) for the typesetting. Published by the Czech Philharmonic in collaboration with the National Heritage Institute and the National Technology Museum.